Bitly link for this pad: http://bit.ly/CC15_Sept30
Audio recording: https://archive.org/details/OpenBadgesCommunityCall30September2015
WELCOME TO THE OPEN BADGES COMMUNITY CALL
Google Group: https://bit.ly/OpenBadgesGroup
Badge videos: http://vimeo.com/31574890 & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgLLq7ybDtc
Canonical pad: http://bit.ly/CommCalls / http://bit.ly/OBCommCalls
Wednesdays, 12 pm ET / 9 am PT / 5pm BST
Conference Number: https://www.uberconference.com/badgealliance
Optional dial in number: 207-645-1621 (no PIN required)
Lines are muted automatically. if you've dialed in from a browser, you can control your mute setting there.
If you've dialed in by phone, hit ** to unmute.
The call moderator can also unmute you from uberconference as well
MEETING: September 30, 2015
Please state your name each time you speak to help everyone out!
Please include your name when you write notes in the etherpad.
Roll Call: Who's here?
Please add your name / Twitter handle / email address / intention for your involvement in the wider badges community:
- Don Presant / @donpresant / Open Badges in Canada
- Federico Giacanelli / @bolsoblog /@joinbestr / https://bestr.it / email@example.com
- Randy Macdonald/@firstname.lastname@example.org/Innovation Academy-InnovateOregon
- James Willis / @Willis3James / email@example.com
- Doug Belshaw / @dajbelshaw / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nate Otto / @ottonomy / Badge Alliance & Concentric Sky
- Rita Van Duinen / @rita_vanduinen/ email@example.com
- Brenda Perea/@firstname.lastname@example.org/colorado community college system
- Paul Nauert / @PaulFromDP / email@example.com / Digital Promise
- David Santucci / firstname.lastname@example.org / Just here to learn.
- Dan Hoffman / @RedCritter / email@example.com
- Serge Ravet / @szerge (train delayed))) <--I thought the French train system was super-efficient? ;)
- Anh Nguyen / @BadgeDiscovery / Lurking from DevLearn...
First time introductions:
- Megan Innes/@firstname.lastname@example.org
REMINDER: these calls are recorded for future review and soundbites
What are you working on this week?
- "State of Open Badges" presentation for a conference in Canada in 3 weeks.
- Canadian Association for Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition, who are quite excited to look at using badges. The idea of challenging for badges is particularly interesting for them.
- Working on Open Badges in Higher Ed site: https://sites.google.com/site/openbadgesinhighereducation/home
- Working on the UI of the next release of Bestr
- Doug: #OB101: http://badges.thinkoutloudclub.com + some SUPER SECRET PROJECTS
- City & guilds is 130yrs old, has a stodgy image, but is trying to be hip and cool too, so they started the ThinkOutLoudClub.
- Brenda-less secret projects- working on a white paper on large scale/enterprise badging initiatives for Colorado
- 14 community colleges, community partners, governor's office, association of advanced manufacturing (120 business members) thinking about when they roll out a badge system at large scale in CO, what does this mean for policy, for business, etc. This means lots of meetings for Brenda!
- 1.0 release of Badgr coming up later this week -- Thursday, expect a big visual redesign with bugfixes and major upgrades to front end and back end. Also, integration with Canvas LMS courses will soon be available, starting with a direct connection between Canvas.net and
- DOES NOT SLEEP+1:)
- Anh: Trying not to fail at presenting Open Badges stuffs...
How to keep track of badge events/conferences/webinars/etc.
Nate Otto and James Willis
- GCal+1 https://sites.google.com/site/openbadgesinhighereducation/home +1+1 can be embedded in several locations
- Proposed: Allow a few people to update this calendar
- Can this calendar be "invited" to events? Crowdsource a bit with a touch of central management?
- How to suggest events? Special hashtag? #OBcall #OBevent ? Email would be a good sol'n too!
- +1 on iCal feed - can iCal be integrated with Google Apps? https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/99358?hl=en Thanks!
- RSS feed too could be useful
- How to decide what events go onto the calendar?
- Doug: Conference presentations (keynotes) yes, conference tracks (yes), individual presentations (perhaps not)
- James: Higher Ed group could manage this calendar
- Is there a
- Doug: you can display more than one calendar in an embed
- Don: +1 to some way of tracking events outside of higher ed. +1
- Paul: Great to hear about the Google Cal!+1
- Also, @jonudell might be able to help: http://elmcity.cloudapp.net
No Guests, no Drama, just Open Badges Questions and Answers
Call participants are all special guests+1
Don Presant: What are useful stats about badges issued, and where can we get the numbers?
- Nate's getting updated numbers from Mozilla this week (announcing next week) +1 :-) +1+1
- Number of badges in the backpack (and new badges added in last 60* days)
- Number of Badgeclasses (&change)
- Number of issuers (&change)
- What would be useful metrics to track?
- # of Badges
- # of Issuers
- # Badge classes
- (metrics from other parties - e.g. Badgr / Open Badge Passport?) +1 +1
- # of Badges in limbo, i.e. not collected
- How recent badges break down into different categories, etc.
- # of users/learners having received at least a badge
- living graph over time...+1 (this is one of my goals)
- Doug: perhaps commercial entities would be more likely to share in confidence with the Badge Alliance who would only release those numbers in anonymize
- Why not regularly poll all platforms listed in https://www.badgealliance.org/badge-issuing-platforms/ or http://openbadges.org/participating-issuers/ ? +1
- Rationale is: official stastistics for OB community should come from sources listed in the OB website(s).
- Potential stakeholders:
- Open Badge Passport
- Pearson Acclaim
- Potential issue: duplication as the nerds among us send out badges to all the different services to try them out.
- one comment: we are only mentioning issuers... We should hope that quickly we will have "client applications" exploiting badges that will provide this kind of information.
- Nate: Open Badges Directory built by Kerri; Credmos ( https://credmos.com/ ), a service for aggregating badges.
- The thing I've been arguing recently is that there could be eleventy billion badges, but none of that proves *value*. But I agree some people need scale proved to them.+1
- Nate: number of badges aligned against competency frameworks
- Doug: this might get messy.
- Brenda: Hoboken mayor's story: When the hurricane hit their power plant, they needed to get it back online quickly, but they needed a specific skillset. Was there a way when they built their badges, was there a way to tag badges with how those skills apply to emergency management.
- so not just quantitative data, but also qualitative. Interesting idea of a pool of emergency expert badges +100!
- Nate: let's do a topic on this.
- Thanks all, I'm going to have to run to catch a train. Great to be able to make this call for once! :)
- How many people are accepting badges. Where are badges typically displayed? (with trend analysis)
- Capabilities vary about where badges are displayed
- This should be an extension (Statistics Extension?) +1
- Also deal with the issue of "Dead" Badges that while the BadgeClass records are still there (as it should), the issuer is no longer actively supporting or issuing new assertions
Greg McVerry: NCCEP GearUp and Badges
They are looking for examples of Open Badges being taking to scale. I am thinking Chicago's Summer of Learning or other work. I am trying to track down people who can speak to large scale projects (meaning many on this list serve).
- Brenda: Colorado is ambitious and wants to move in this direction. (Expanding local projects, building integrated or federated systems
- Holdup right now is infrastructure (same systems,
- Some sources of scaled badge programs will come from programs that are already at scale and just aren't using open badges.
- https://mainestateoflearning.org/about +1
- DigitalMe? BadgetheUK? BadgeEU
- Don: check out the BadgeTheWorld map http://www.badgetheworld.org/?pledge=155
Anh Nguyen: Badge Extensions
I did a quick search of "extension" and only the Endorsement Extension has come up... and Learning Pathway which I know Nate & Tim are working on. Does anyone else on the mailing list have a list of, knows, or have extensions or are working on extensions at the moment?
Ayrton Dumas: self-hosting BadgeKit
What version of node, git do I need to self-host BadgeKit
- node 0.10.x is the most current working node version for BadgeKit
Robert Curtis: Exam/test based badges
Hello! I am just starting to explore the world of digital badges with a goal of earning some on the basis of prior/lifelong learning, but the biggest barrier that I am coming across is that many, if not most, badges are tied in to existing curricula and/or educational programs.
Doug Belshaw: Taxonomy of Connected badges
Kerri Lemoie is leading work on this:
Hot Topic on Badge Program Efficacy: How to collect data to assert efficacy
What does efficacy mean to you for badge programs?
Which is a more important variable: (+1 your favorite)
- When they are used. +1+1(I'm not that interested in badges-for-motivation, but they prove their value when they are issued, earned, displayed, and consumed. When they actually complete their life-cycle)
- When badges help learners be intentional about the learning progress and archiving of a personal portfolio.+1
- When students are eager to show off their badges to parents and peers it is an effective implementation.+1
- When badges help educators define learning outcomes in OST programs+1+1
- When employers recognize badges as legitimate representations of professional learning, skills, knowledge, etc.+1+1
- So when employers will actually do recruiting based on skill seach inside badges.+1
- When students are more motivated to participate in learning because of badges.+1
- Measureable impact on external metrics such as skills/learning levels, productivity, broader economic data+1+1
- When they accurately measure/reflect competency (in general, in opposition to "seat time")+1+1
- When schools or issuers can analyze badge distribution data to improve efficiency/effectiveness+1
- When badges are endorsed by trustworthy 3rd parties (earners, consumers, accreditors)+1+1+1
- When badges better define and highlight learning opportunities+1
- Impact on learning and development systems: competency frameworks, CBE, etc.
- Motivation to learn +1
- Use of badges +1+1+1+1
- Improved educational outcomes+1+1+1+1
- Economic outcomes (hiring outcomes)+1+1+1+1
- Communities formed around badges
- Badges for wayfinding
What is a good way to ask a specific efficacy question about a badge issuing program?
- To an educator: Have badges helped you to be more intentional about your learning outcomes?+1
- To an educator: Have badges helped you to highlight learning opportunities for your students?+1
- To a learner: What do you use your badges for?+1
- To an employer: Do you know what open badges are? If so, how do you treat them from applicants and/or current employees? If you do not know about them, what is your initial reaction and how could you be convinced of their value?
- To student: How did your friends/family respond when you mentioned you earnt a badge?+1
- big data (learning analytics)
- Randomized controlled trials ("gold standard")+1
Moving Forward: Topics + Community leads for the weekly Community Call
We will be opening up this call to the community to help determine topics / lead / etc.
Please add topics for discussion / your name / indicate if you want to lead the call
October 7: Special Event: Badge Alliance 2015-16 School Year Kickoff
October 15: Belgian Badge Backpack and maybe Cities of Learning end-of-summer wrap-up and product announcements
...any interest in Belgian Badge Backpack? I'd like to learn more about this badging system for government
Accepted topics (by interest):
- Employer engagement: national, regional, local - strategies, case studies+1+1+1+1+1 +1 +1 - We held a recent summit on Badges for Employers - Tim
- Success Stories, examples, and case studies (OpenBadging in credentialing & workforce devlelopment) +1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1 (Curious what people are defining as success here... - We held a recent summit on Badges for Employers - Tim
- Overview of what has happened and what is currently happening in the Cities of Learning space +1+1+1+1+1 +1+1 (Reaching out to some folks involved on this -Nate) Happy to help here. So much to say... - Tim
Contribute your ideas! Put a +1 next to the topics that you would like to discuss on this call. Those topics with the most +1 will be hosted.
- Badge start "toolbox" not just defining skills/competencies, but also self-hosting information or external hosting+1+1
- Where are the roadblocks, what are the issues people should know?+1+1
- Trust and security (the deleterious effects of mistaking security for trust)+1+1
- Defining learning pathways with badge endorsement+1+1+1+1+1+1
- Global activities: where are things happening and who's doing them +1 +1+1+1
- Open Badge Services: what services could we built on top of Open Badges? Scenarios for the future +1+1+1+1
- Badge-centric vs. person centric infrastructure+1+1
- Educators space+1 +1 +1+1+1
- Higher ed conversations may be separate from k-12 for the most part
- - and Continuing Ed. as well (Carey)+1+1
- Adult Ed+1
- Initiatives that are badge-centric occurring throughout the US but that have not been involved in the BA work
- Universal design -- access for people with disabilities +1+1 +1+1
- Strategies for integration with new workforce initiatives of WIOA statute+1+1
- 'Hack the Backpack' - Understanding the wants/needs of the community in terms of future development of the Backpack (Matt - DigitalMe)
Community Call: September 30 2015:
Community Call: September 23 2015:
Community Call: September 16 2015:
Community Call: September 9 2015:
Community Call: September 2 2015:
Community Call: August 26 2015:
Reading List/Additional notes for the community
Upcoming conferences and events
Let us know where you're going to be, especially if you're giving - or attending - a badges presentation!
- Issuing platforms:
- Open Badges Speakers List:
Thank you for joining us!