Bitly link for this pad: http://bit.ly/CC15-Sept23
Audio recording: https://archive.org/details/OpenBadgesCommunityCall23September2015
WELCOME TO THE OPEN BADGES COMMUNITY CALL
Google Group: https://bit.ly/OpenBadgesGroup
Badge videos: http://vimeo.com/31574890 & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgLLq7ybDtc
Canonical pad: http://bit.ly/CommCalls / http://bit.ly/OBCommCalls
Wednesdays, 12 pm ET / 9 am PT / 5pm BST
Conference Number: https://www.uberconference.com/badgealliance
Optional dial in number: 207-645-1621 (no PIN required)
Lines are muted automatically. if you've dialed in from a browser, you can control your mute setting there.
If you've dialed in by phone, hit ** to unmute.
The call moderator can also unmute you from uberconference as well
MEETING: September 23, 2015
Please state your name each time you speak to help everyone out!
Please include your name when you write notes in the etherpad.
Roll Call: Who's here?
Please add your name / Twitter handle / email address / intention for your involvement in the wider badges community:
- Anh Nguyen / @BadgeDiscovery / email@example.com / Help people discover badges => expand badging => ??? => Cheezburgers :) (delicious cheezburgers!) (lolz)
- Nate Otto, @ottonomy / Badge Alliance
- Kerri Lemoie @kayaelle
- Sarah Stoeckl / @sarah_stoeckl / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dan Hoffman / @RedCritter / email@example.com
- Federico Giacanelli / @bolsoblog /@joinbestr / https://bestr.it / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mary Bold / email@example.com
- Brett Herzog / firstname.lastname@example.org
- David Anderton / @dwanderton / email@example.com / been playing around with badges so far and interested to get more involved #badgifyeverything
- Don Presant (late) / @donpresant / Open Badges in Canada #BadgeCAN
- Tim Cook / @timothyfcook / Sprout Fund and City as a Campus Project
- Matteo Bertazzo / @mbertazz
First time introductions:
REMINDER: these calls are recorded for future review and soundbites
What are you working on this week?
- Anh: silently launched https://credmos.com platform for badge discovery on sunday. Need more badges...
- Working on infographics for badgelytizing people at DevLearn session http://goo.gl/xxnAT3 based on my experience building Credmos, and how to make badges more discoverable in the future. First OB Directory App! +10000+100 so great!+111!
- No personal information collected, just badgeclasses. Point people back to the criteria pages for people to look at.
- How do issuers get their badges into Credmos?
- Instructions on how to register your badges in the directory: http://badgealliance.github.io/openbadges-directory/add-badges#instructions
- Kerri: Taxonomy Working Group call tomorrow (9/24) 11am ET http://etherpad.badgealliance.org/taxonomy-wg
- Dan - Launched native RedCritter Windows 10 App: issue open badges via voice command with Cortana - https://redcritterconnecter.com/solutions/education
- Matteo Bertazzo: "A Bot with a Backpack" http://storebot.me/bot/openbadgesbot
- Really cool utility I wanted to highlight -Nate (Matteo is here at his desk next to mine, feel free to ask :) ) Yes, please talk a little about this.
- The main idea here is IMHO people, especially young people, live inside IM platforms like Telegram, Whatsapp, WeChat etc... and they want to use them as platforms. They don't want to leave the IM paltform to search music, search on ebay, get updates and alarms... and even open their doors. So they could use this bot to download earned badges from a IM platform in order to share them and connect with other owners of the same badge.
- Getting started building up the team at the Badge Alliance for our fall kickoff two weeks from today.
Badge Alliance Update & Call for Collaborators
Nate Otto, Interim Director, Badge Alliance
Community Manager (20 hours/week, could change in 2016 based on workload)
The Badge Alliance has a robust and growing community of educators, developers, and technology enthusiasts. The BA serves as a meeting place for this diverse group of Open Badges stakeholders. The support of a community manager to organize calls and small-scale events, and keep track of communication with the public.
Technical Writer (20 hours/week, could change in 2016 based on workload)
The Badge Alliance requires and supports a range of web services and sites that provide documentation about badges to users and prospective users of Open Badges. This documentation is split across many locations, and much of it needs updating for 2016. A technical writer will rework these properties and provide ongoing development of resources the community needs in order to use badges.
- Do you imagine this position would/could do some new writing in the space or just organize existing resources? awesome answer.
Junior Developer (20 hours/week, could change in 2016 based on workload)
The Badge Alliance interfaces with a wide variety of developers and is responsible for detailed technical work to ensure correct development of the Open Badges specification. This work includes prototyping, testing, collaborative development of components of the specification, and some communication with technical stakeholders in the community around these topics.
Sarah: My apologies if I missed this while multi-tasking :-), will these be remote or on-site positions?
- Remote friendly positions.
- Especially someone who is interested in many languages and driving some technical outreach within the open-source community
- Interested in new questions, interesting distributed architecture across the web
- Could be someone self-taught or recently graduated
- Formal job postings coming early next week.
- Would be nice if someone could speak a second language.
- Stoked for these 2 new technical positions! Lots of work to do!
- Nate: Would like to spread out these 3 roles across 3 people, not have one person take on 2 roles. Ideally they would fill out the rest of their working role with another organization in the Badges space.
- I like the idea of building new expertise, not just bringing in someone with existing knowledge in the space.
- Sprout is looking to update this with all new resources: http://www.reconnectlearning.org/tools-resources/knowledge-bank/
- Can we share these positions publicly now or should we wait for the descriptions? Nate: Feel free.
- Tech writer was circa 20hrs a week, how about junior dev/ community manager? +1
- For the Writer position, when you say "Documentation" do you mean primarily technical work (e.g. tech projects, standard) or also theory/concept/pedagogy/research/practice, etc? Nate: Technical documentation is primary role, but also very interested in concept/theory/pedagogy work. Nate will probably be leading that kind of work, but in concert with the entire team.
- When are you looking to fill the positions by? ready for mozfest :)
Hot Topic on Badge Program Efficacy: How to collect data to assert efficacy
What does efficacy mean to you for badge programs?
Which is a more important variable: (+1 your favorite)
- When they are used. +1+1(I'm not that interested in badges-for-motivation, but they prove their value when they are issued, earned, displayed, and consumed. When they actually complete their life-cycle)
- When badges help learners be intentional about the learning progress and archiving of a personal portfolio.
- When students are eager to show off their badges to parents and peers it is an effective implementation.
- When badges help educators define learning outcomes in OST programs
- When employers recognize badges as legitimate representations of professional learning, skills, knowledge, etc.+1
- So when employers will actually do recruiting based on skill seach inside badges.
- When students are more motivated to participate in learning because of badges.
- Measureable impact on external metrics such as skills/learning levels, productivity, broader economic data
- When they accurately measure/reflect competency (in general, in opposition to "seat time")
- When schools or issuers can analyze badge distribution data to improve efficiency/effectiveness
- When badges are endorsed by trustworthy 3rd parties (earners, consumers, accreditors)+1
- When badges better define and highlight learning opportunities
- Impact on learning and development systems: competency frameworks, CBE, etc.
- Motivation to learn +1
- Use of badges +1+1+1+1
- Improved educational outcomes+1+1+1
- Economic outcomes (hiring outcomes)+1+1+1
- Communities formed around badges
- Badges for wayfinding
What is a good way to ask a specific efficacy question about a badge issuing program?
- To an educator: Have badges helped you to be more intentional about your learning outcomes?
- To an educator: Have badges helped you to highlight learning opportunities for your students?
- To a learner: What do you use your badges for?
- To an employer: Do you know what open badges are? If so, how do you treat them from applicants and/or current employees? If you do not know about them, what is your initial reaction and how could you be convinced of their value?
- To student: How did your friends/family respond when you mentioned you earnt a badge?
- big data (learning analytics)
- Randomized controlled trials ("gold standard")
Moving Forward: Topics + Community leads for the weekly Community Call
We will be opening up this call to the community to help determine topics / lead / etc.
Please add topics for discussion / your name / indicate if you want to lead the call
October 7: Special Event: Badge Alliance 2015-16 School Year Kickoff
October 15: Cities of Learning end-of-summer wrap-up and product announcements
...any interest in Belgian Badge Backpack? I'd like to learn more about this badging system for government
Accepted topics (by interest):
- Employer engagement: national, regional, local - strategies, case studies+1+1+1+1+1 +1 +1 - We held a recent summit on Badges for Employers - Tim
- Success Stories, examples, and case studies (OpenBadging in credentialing & workforce devlelopment) +1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1 (Curious what people are defining as success here... - We held a recent summit on Badges for Employers - Tim
- Overview of what has happened and what is currently happening in the Cities of Learning space +1+1+1+1+1 +1+1 (Reaching out to some folks involved on this -Nate) Happy to help here. So much to say... - Tim
Contribute your ideas! Put a +1 next to the topics that you would like to discuss on this call. Those topics with the most +1 will be hosted.
- Badge start "toolbox" not just defining skills/competencies, but also self-hosting information or external hosting+1
- Where are the roadblocks, what are the issues people should know?+1+1
- Trust and security (the deleterious effects of mistaking security for trust)+1+1
- Defining learning pathways with badge endorsement+1+1+1+1+1
- Global activities: where are things happening and who's doing them +1 +1+1+1
- Open Badge Services: what services could we built on top of Open Badges? Scenarios for the future +1+1+1
- Badge-centric vs. person centric infrastructure+1+1
- Educators space+1 +1 +1+1
- Higher ed conversations may be separate from k-12 for the most part
- - and Continuing Ed. as well (Carey)+1
- Adult Ed
- Initiatives that are badge-centric occurring throughout the US but that have not been involved in the BA work
- Universal design -- access for people with disabilities +1+1 +1+1
- Strategies for integration with new workforce initiatives of WIOA statute+1
- 'Hack the Backpack' - Understanding the wants/needs of the community in terms of future development of the Backpack (Matt - DigitalMe)
Community Call: September 16 2015:
Community Call: September 9 2015:
Community Call: September 2 2015:
Community Call: August 26 2015:
Reading List/Additional notes for the community
- On Learning Pathways, Competencies and Badges:
Upcoming conferences and events
Let us know where you're going to be, especially if you're giving - or attending - a badges presentation!
- DevLearn 2015
- Annual Online Learning Consortium International Conference
- October 14-16, Orlando
- Perkins eLearning presenting on Meeting the Professional Development Needs of a Niche Population - not badge specific, though
- Issuing platforms:
- Open Badges Speakers List:
Thank you for joining us!