Bitly link for this pad: http://bit.ly/CC15_Sept2
Audio recording: https://archive.org/details/OpenBadgesCommunityCall2September2015
WELCOME TO THE OPEN BADGES COMMUNITY CALL
Google Group: https://bit.ly/OpenBadgesGroup
Badge videos: http://vimeo.com/31574890 & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgLLq7ybDtc
Canonical pad: http://bit.ly/CommCalls / http://bit.ly/OBCommCalls
Wednesdays, 12 pm ET / 9 am PT / 5pm BST
Conference Number: https://www.uberconference.com/badgealliance
Optional dial in number: 207-645-1621 (no PIN required)
Lines are muted automatically. if you've dialed in from a browser, you can control your mute setting there.
If you've dialed in by phone, hit ** to unmute.
The call moderator can also unmute you from uberconference as well
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR THE SEPTEMBER 9 CALL, CLICK HERE: http://bit.ly/CC15_Sept9
MEETING: September 2, 2015
Please state your name each time you speak to help everyone out!
Please include your name when you write notes in the etherpad.
Roll Call: Who's here?
Please add your name / Twitter handle / email address / intention for your involvement in the wider badges community:
- Don Presant / @donpresant / Open Badges in Canada - lifewide
- Geoffroi Garon / @geoffroigaron / Startup @pygnum / Lab @LCAUQAM
- Serge Ravet / @szerge / badge europe!
- Lydia Schuck/@firstname.lastname@example.org/community based nonprofit starting to use badges
- Mary Bold / email@example.com
- Brett Herzog / firstname.lastname@example.org
- James Willis / email@example.com / @Willis3James
- Andy Stutzman / firstname.lastname@example.org / @Andrew.D.Stutzman
- Dan Hoffman / email@example.com / @RedCritter
- Brenda M. Perea/@firstname.lastname@example.org
- Robin Sitten / email@example.com / @RJSit10
- Jim Kerr/@firstname.lastname@example.org/doc candidate researcher@Ohio State
- Sunny Lee @soletelee
- Paul Nauert / @PaulfromDP / Digital Promise / email@example.com
- Kerri Lemoie @kayaelle
First time introductions:
REMINDER: these calls are recorded for future review and soundbites
What are you working on this week?
- Don: Excited to be starting a project for the Leading English Education and Resource Network (LEARN), a non-profit that serves minority Anglophone educational institutions in the province of Québec with edtech and other services/resources. +1 Big an emphasis on community/adult learning. Still triaging opportunities, but potential for student recognition, Adult Ed/workforce transition, teacher PD, internal staff development and employer engagement. High hopes, will report back. NB: seeking opportunities for earning "work ready" type badges elsewhere, so as not to reinvent the wheel (e.g. Northstar, Barclay's, etc.) - suggestions welcome!
- Geoffroi : I publish 2 articles (in french) about Badges http://www.oce.uqam.ca/article/les-badges-numeriques-et-la-revolution-de-lapprentissage/ +1 (like the ecosytem triangle diagram!)
- Serge (silent): Working on a teacher training programme for Tunisia (going in 2 weeks).!!+1 Will introduce Open Badges... among other things...
- James: Bi-weekly Badges in Higher Ed calls going well; next up: All Aboard, Ireland (Iain MacLaren and Blaneth McSharry) on 15 Sept (12pm EST). Info: https://sites.google.com/site/openbadgesinhighereducation/working-group
- Yesterday, Jelena and Vladan gave a great talk on soft skill badges. Info available from the higher ed site above
- Andy: Continuing to develop our new ePortfolio with workforce development orgs and preparing to work with the Philadelphia School District this fall. We also have some badging interest with the Custom Designed Majors group at Drexel.
- Brenda: Continuing to work with industry to navigate how digital badges can work within the higher ed/company ecosystem
- Industry is interested in looking at some badges as terminal (degrees) rather than complementary
- Meeting with DuPont, which is interested in new credentials instead of using the existing credentials in the community college program.
- Brett: Releasing the latest version of our badging platform (Vault) featuring Collections
- Robin: Prepping for a meeting with our board of trustees to discuss a proposed badge program; also reviewed Nate's "Learning Pathways" presentation he shared last week+1 (Brenda) can we connect? CCCS is also working on CTE Faculty PD toward credentialling - nice, Brenda - yes let's connect. I am out of the office Friday - Monday, and will set a reminder to connect next week. In the meantime, email if you like. I will have access. Will do
- Lydia: Made first two badges: Member and Email User. These are for youth with disabilities in community based nonprofit.
- Kerri: Launching an Ed Tech consulting services agency providing tech strategy, open source app & web development as well as data analyzation services for organizations and businesses in the Education space. This includes Open Badges implementations, technical training and tech strategy. Can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Website, blog, etc... coming soon.
- Working on an extension for criteria text in the badge class. This will provide more straight-forward access to criteria for app developers.
- Would like to kick off a working group on taxonomy for Open Badges. It's a long-time coming. There's an under-utilized tags property in the badge class already. It's free-form and allows anything. Imagine the power of having a shared or a few shared taxonomies. This will help bring the power of search and connections to badge-able opportunities. Will email the google group soon to kick-off. You should check in with Grainne Hamilton at DigitalMe—they've been pursuing this for the last few months. (Carla) (will do. thnx) :) Would love to get involved in the taxonomy discussion/group - I'll email you. Awesome.+1 I'd like to participate in the taxonomy discussion too me too :P The Celestial Emporium of #OpenBadges Taxonomies http://t.co/rh5L64x7BS+1+1
- FYI: This may correspond with the IMS Currency Framework about to get underway. (Carla) Great
Badge Resource Work Party
Party #1: http://openbadges.org/participating-issuers/
- Issues with this resource
- I see an issue with the title itself... The separation of roles... eBay: "onboarding sellers"? It is focused on 'institutions' as issuers and ignore individuals as issuers. 'Earners' are treated as 'collectors' of badges. Institutions don't have to earn badges..
- 'backpack' at the same level as 'metadata' while we should explain the storage, which could be anything outside the Backpack.
- There is no mention of 'trust'
- Too much on the 'legacy' (Backpack etc.) and not enough on where we want to go
- Link to badge issuing platforms goes to out-of-date wiki
- I think the tearm "Onboarding Issuer" is not attractive. I would almost want to define it as "Badge Creator". This would go for both docs. also not a term anyone would search for
- There is increasing separation between badge Creators and Badge Issuers on platforms such as Open Badge Factory, but agree that terminology could be improved
- Very narrow view of what the "OBI" is, "it is built in node.js ..." -- needs to be updated to include participation from many other players
- Who is the audience? As mentioned, its a very technical document for a faculty member or a community member that is interested in learning how to create a badge.
- Issues with this resource
- I would still like to see a "quick start" guide type of page - the point being "how do I talk to my org (faculty/chairperson/board) about what this means. Just the steps (not the details) of how a bill become a law. Because this is where I feel like we stumbled for too long - not being able to see the forest. (mixed metaphor now ended... :O) ) When you start with code conversation, you have lost the business end of your audience
- "Open Badge Infrastructure" section points to just the mozilla backpack repo. Needs a better overvew of what types of services are available +1+1 and what the difference are between them
- Specification link goes to openbadges-specification repo instead of specification site: https://openbadgespec.org
- Assertion spec links to 1.0 spec
- "Some proposed changes to the assertion specification are currently under discussion" should be removed
- Displayers are too prominently featured+1
- The Federated backpack referenced in this doc is no longer under development
- "available issuing platforms or BadgeKit" link needs updating
- What are the differences between these resources?
- Yes to more diagrams, including hinted workflow infographic
- Integrate some of the thinking from the Badge Alliance Badge System Design Template worksheet (ie things to think about)
- Is this a badgeable resource?
Moving Forward: Topics + Community leads for the weekly Community Call
We will be opening up this call to the community to help determine topics / lead / etc.
Please add topics for discussion / your name / indicate if you want to lead the call
And we can help folks with the flow and co-pilot as needed.
September 9: NOCTI, John Foster
September 15: Cities of Learning end-of-summer breakdown
Accepted topics (by interest):
- Employer engagement: national, regional, local - strategies, case studies+1+1+1+1+1 +1 +1
- Success Stories, examples, and case studies (OpenBadging in credentialing & workforce devlelopment) +1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1 (Curious what people are defining as success here...
- Overview of what has happened and what is currently happening in the Cities of Learning space +1+1+1+1+1 +1+1 (Reaching out to some folks involved on this -Nate)
Contribute your ideas! Put a +1 next to the topics that you would like to discuss on this call. Those topics with the most +1 will be hosted.
- Badge start "toolbox" not just defining skills/competencies, but also self-hosting information or external hosting+1
- Where are the roadblocks, what are the issues people should know?+1+1
- Trust and security (the deleterious effects of mistaking security for trust)+1+1
- Defining learning pathways with badge endorsement+1+1+1
- Global activities: where are things happening and who's doing them +1 +1+1+1
- Open Badge Services: what services could we built on top of Open Badges? Scenarios for the future +1+1
- Badge-centric vs. person centric infrastructure+1+1
- Educators space+1 +1 +1+1
- Higher ed conversations may be separate from k-12 for the most part
- - and Continuing Ed. as well (Carey)+1
- Adult Ed
- Initiatives that are badge-centric occurring throughout the US but that have not been involved in the BA work
- Universal design -- access for people with disabilities +1+1 +1+1
- Strategies for integration with new workforce initiatives of WIOA statute+1
- 'Hack the Backpack' - Understanding the wants/needs of the community in terms of future development of the Backpack (Matt - DigitalMe)
Community Call: August 26 2015:
Community Call: August 19 2015:
Community Call: August 12 2015:
Reading List/Additional notes for the community
Upcoming conferences and events
Let us know where you're going to be, especially if you're giving - or attending - a badges presentation!
- Issuing platforms:
- Open Badges Speakers List:
Thank you for joining us!